George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, created a website asking his supporters for monetary donations for “living expenses.”
Since the wide-spread media coverage of the Trayvon Martin case, George Zimmerman was forced into hiding, which is why he’s asking for money. But can someone explain to me why he’s still free though?
Zimmerman’s lawyers have confirmed to NBC News that the website is legitimate.
Keep reading to find out all he had to say about the situation…
I am the real George Zimmerman,
On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website’s sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries.
It has come to my attention that some persons and/or entities have been collecting funds, thinly veiled as my “Defense Fund” or “Legal Fund”. I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites as I have not received any funds collected, intended to support my family and I through this trying, tragic time.
I have created a Paypal account solely linked on this website as I would like to provide an avenue to thank my supporters personally and ensure that any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment. I will also personally, maintain accountability of all funds received. I reassure you, every donation is appreciated.
He later added:
Update as of 1:30pm EST on Tuesday, April 10th
I am attempting to respond to each and everyone of my supporters personally. The support has been overwhelming in volume and strength. I thank you all and ask that you permit me the time to respond to each one of you personally. Once again thank you.
In other Zimmerman news…
Special prosecutor Angela Corey, decided NOT to bring in a grand jury to seek an indictment against George Zimmerman. A grand jury set to convene Tuesday was canceled.
“The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case,” Corey’s office said in a statement Monday. “At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office.”
Corey has had three options: to file charges against Mr. Zimmerman, drop the case, or send it before the grand jury. And despite expectations that the jury might convene this week, Corey had indicated earlier that she might not use that option, saying that she has never before used a grand jury to decide on filing charges in a possible homicide case.
Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon’s family, spoke with several news outlets right after word of Corey’s decision to bypass the grand jury was announced. He said he’s hoping that means that charges against Zimmerman will be announced soon.
“We want to believe that this would be a positive sign that the prosecutor has enough information to arrest Trayvon Martin’s killer,” Mr. Crump told USA Today. “The family is really trying hard to be patient and have faith in the system.
Let’s hope this decision will favor justice for Trayvon Martin and his family. And I purposely left out the url to Zimmerman’s website, FYI.